Change "Go to…" To Custom Text

This support request was posted in General Support by AKanellopoulos

Request ID #3683 In Progress
  • Hi, Juan,

I know it has been asked before, but I didn’t see you explain it for more of a WordPress layman like myself. I would like to change the text of the “Go to…” navigation bar that shows on mobile. Please walk me through this so that I do not affect the current state of my website.

Also, just for you to relay to Nicethemes:

80% of my customers view the website on mobile and nearly 90% of them never navigate past the home page (according to Google Analytics). We didn’t think TOO much of it until customers began commenting on our Facebook asking why there was no “menu” or “contact us” page on mobile.

The majority of mobile users either don’t know what the purpose of the navigation bar is or completely scroll past it altogether. This is terrible because people use their phones and tablets for a large majority of their surfing these days!

There must be another way to display the menu bar items that is more functional without compromising aesthetics. The small, muted rectangle doesn’t seem to be cutting it!

Just two cents from a very satisfied customer that otherwise notices little annoyances that he wishes he could fix himself!

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hi there,

I hope you’re doing well.

In order to change the “Go To” message, you’ll need to edit the file /bbq/includes/js/general.js, on line ten, change “Go To…” with whatever you need.

Thanks about your comments regarding the navigation, it’s always good to get some feedback. Do you recommend something in particular?

Best,
    Juan.

So if I edit that in the theme file and reupload the theme, will all of my site’s content still be present?

I don’t want to mess anything up.

In regards to the navigation bar, I’m not sure what I would suggest beyond just making it more apparent that it is, in fact, a bar for navigating. Maybe a tabbed design? Another possibility would be to give the user the option to use a navigation bar or the standard menu links. Most people don’t have that many menu tabs, I’m assuming, so on both the iPad and small windows on the desktop, you could simply move the normal menu bar underneath the logo. I know this would work beautifully for myself. As for mobile, the same would be done but the links would be stacked, so there were two rows. It would just make for a more sensical, intuitive approach in my opinion!

Thank you for listening to my suggestions!

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hi there,

Thanks for the follow up.

Yes, you only need to change that line. Just one file, you don’t need to re upload the entire theme.

With regards to the navigation you mean something like what we have done for Paeon? (http://demo.nicethemes.com/paeon/)

Best,
    Juan.

Okay, so please walk me through it. Do I do this through the WordPress dashboard? How exactly is this done?

And yes that would look nice for a more tabbed design. But in my opinion, actually having the menu links visible without any type of tray, tab, bar, or thing to open, would be ideal!

Thank you!

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hi There,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regarding the modification, the ideal scenario would be using FTP to download the file, edit that in your computer and then uploading the changes again via FTP.

Are you familiar with FTP?

Best,
    Juan.

Familiar, but I don’t have much applicable knowledge. This seems more complicated than I thought it was going to be =/. For now, I will just leave it as is.

Thank you for your help again, Juan.

Juanfra Aldasoro

No problem.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Best,
    Juan.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login to your Account

Welcome back! Please log in to your account by filling the fields below:

Forgot?

Not a member? Create a free account.

Create a Free Account

You're 27 seconds away from some awesome WordPress free stuff, benefits and more. Create a free account and have access to our free products, benefits and more!

Already have an account? Log in
Secure Server