Primary Navigation Setup Not Working Out

This support request was posted in BBQ by JayTea

Request ID #1839 Resolved
  • Hi Juan,

I’m having some difficulty setting up my navigation menus as your six step tutorial suggested. When I click the + button and type in the menu name like for example “ABOUT” or “MENU” or “CONTACT US”, I’m noticing two problems:

1. In the left column in the Pages widget, when I click on View All only “Home” and “Sample Page” show up and nothing else no matter how many of the navigation menu names I’ve created (in that upper tabbed area).
    2. The list of menu items that shows up in your screen shot tutorial as #5 do not show up on my screen. I managed to get the Home menu to show up but could not get anything else as the only options I can add are as mentioned above, Home and Sample Page.

When I’ve added all of my menu names (tabbed area, top right) and hit “Save Menu” for each and I go over to the top left widget titled, “Theme Locations” I get all of the menu items in there. I’ve tried selecting a page such as for example, “ABOUT” and then attempted to find it in the Pages widget and no dice – it remains with only two choices: Home and Sample Page.

Can you illustrate clearly for me what I’m doing wrong? The tutorial seems pretty straight forward however, it’s just not adding up on my end.

Thank you!

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hi Jay,

Thanks for writing. Actually that’s the WordPress built in functionality for navigation menus.

This theme has only one location for navigation menus. And it’s the “Navigation Menu” dropdown that you can find on the left part of the screen (when in the Appearance > Menus screen).

When you click the “+” on step #1 you’re adding a navigation menu. Please see that a navigation menu is a conjunction of items, so you don’t have to add “Contact”, “About” or “Menu” there. Those are pages.

When clicking “+” on step #1 of our tutorial, name it something like: “Top Navigation”. Click “Save Menu”(#3). And then, as described in our tutorial on step #4, add items. Have in mind that you first need to create the pages with the content in order to add them to the navigation menu.

With regards to your specific problems:

1. Over the pages box, if you pick “View All”, you’ll see the pages that you have in your current WordPress install. Pages can be included into a menu but they actually are not related unless you do it.

2. The list of menu items for the navigation menu on #5 for our tutorial are the pages/items that had been added to the menu(on #4 there’s an explanation on how to add items to a navigation menu)

I hope this helps.

Best,
    Juan.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

This topic is marked as resolved

Only the topic author can re-open this thread.

Login to your Account

Welcome back! Please log in to your account by filling the fields below:

Forgot?

Not a member? Create a free account.

Create a Free Account

You're 27 seconds away from some awesome WordPress free stuff, benefits and more. Create a free account and have access to our free products, benefits and more!

Already have an account? Log in
Secure Server