Assign Menu Categories to Specific Pages

This support request was posted in BBQ by pickleinthemiddle

Request ID #523 Resolved
  • pickleinthemiddle

Hi Nice Themes

I have created a page in my Main Navigation Menu called ‘Current Menu’. Beneath this parent page I have then created two children: ‘Food’ and ‘Drinks’.

I want to assign only the Menu Category called ‘Food’ to the ‘Food’ page, and only the Menu Category called ‘Drinks’ to the ‘Drinks’ page. At the moment both categories appear on both pages.

Can you help?

Hello there,

Thanks for writing. You can solve that problem by adding the “Food” and “Drink” Menu categories you’ve created for your navigation menu.

For this you should go to Appearance > Menus, and scroll down. Then, on the left side you’ll see that you can pick the “Menu Categories” you want to add to your navigation menu. Click over “View All” to see all, and then add the “Food” and “Drinks” categories to your menu.

Best,
    Juan.

pickleinthemiddle

Thanks Juan

I have done this and removed the ‘Food’ and ‘Drink’ pages from the Navigation Menu so that the links don’t double up in the live site.

The reason I was trying to use pages (instead of Menu Categories) was that I would like to set the template to be the menu grid, rather than the menu list.

Can you tell me how to use the menu grid template with my Menu Categories?

Juanfra Aldasoro

No problem.

With the theme as it is now, you can’t do that. What I can do is send you a template for you to replace. Check your inbox please.

Best,
    Juan.

pickleinthemiddle

Thanks Juan

Using FTP, I have uploaded the new file taxonomy-menu-category-grid.php and deleted the old file taxonomy-menu-category.php from the remote server. Was this the right thing to do? It appears to have updated the templates used for these Menu Categories, but it still doesn’t come out as a grid (it is in a list).

Also, it has pulled the widgets I was planning to use on other pages into these Menu Categories, which I don’t want.

Have I done something wrong?

Cheers

Hello there,

You have to rename the new file in order to have it as: taxonomy-menu-category.php ( you need to remove the “-grid” part from the file name ).

Best,
    Juan.

pickleinthemiddle

Thank you – I have done this. Sorry, but it’s still printing in a list…

Juanfra Aldasoro

I forgot to mention that you need to add this code in the file custom.css or put it inside the “Custom CSS” field under the “Design & Styles” tab on the theme options panel:

body.tax-menu-category .menu-box {
        width: 45% !important;
    }

pickleinthemiddle

Thanks again – unfortunately now both columns print into the left half of the page… Sorry, I don’t know how to modify the css to fix this…

That’s strange. Are you sure you’d replaced the original file taxonomy-menu-category.php with the new one taxonomy-menu-category-grid.php

Would you please send me your FTP credentials to support@nicethemes.com so I can take a look?

Best,
    Juan.

Juanfra Aldasoro

Thanks for sharing your information with me. We’ve been working on your site. Please have a look and let us know if everything is ok.

Best,
    Juan.

pickleinthemiddle

Hi Juan

Yes, perfect! Thanks so much for all your assistance – it is much appreciated. Great theme 🙂

Cheers

Juanfra Aldasoro

Thanks for your kind words.

Have a nice day 🙂
    Juan.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic is marked as resolved

Only the topic author can re-open this thread.

Login to your Account

Welcome back! Please log in to your account by filling the fields below:

Forgot?

Not a member? Create a free account.

Create a Free Account

You're 27 seconds away from some awesome WordPress free stuff, benefits and more. Create a free account and have access to our free products, benefits and more!

Already have an account? Log in
Secure Server