Enabling comments in portfolio items

This support request was posted in Netelier by scottepond

Request ID #3402 Resolved
  • I’m looking for a way to edit the php to allow commenting on portfolio items. I’ve seen methods to do so on other themes. Is there a way to do it on the Netelier theme? (Note: I am a newbie when it comes to php).

Hello there,

Thanks for writing. Yes, there’s a simple way. You’ll need to call the comments function in your single-portfolio.php file:

comments_template( '', true );

You can check the file single.php in order to check where and how to include it 🙂

Best,
    Juan.

Thanks Juan. I’ll give that a try as soon as my flight lands. Cheers!

Thanks for writing back.

No problem 🙂

Best,
    Juan.

Juan: I tried updating the single-portfolio.php file like it indicates on the single.php file… all that happens is a line is drawn at the top of the portfolio. I tried it in a few locations in the file but it doesn’t seem to activate comments. Any recommendations?

Update: I was able to get it in the code to show up where I want it, but it only appears as a line, not as a the actual comments. Is there something else that I need to do to ensure it is expanded?

You can see the line below the image in the following link: http://scottpond.com/scotteponddesigns/portfolio/slingers-book-1/

Hello There,

Thanks for writing.

I forgot to mention that you’ll have to edit the way the portfolio custom post type is registered.

Open the following file /includes/custom-post-types/portfolio.php and where it says:

'supports' => array( 'title', 'editor', 'thumbnail', 'page-attributes', 'excerpt' )

Add comments.

'supports' => array( 'title', 'editor', 'thumbnail', 'page-attributes', 'excerpt', 'comments' )

Once you have done that, remember to check the discussion feature while editing/creating the portfolio item. This would be: When creating/editing a page, have a look on the top right part of the screen. You’ll see a button that says “Screen Options”. Click that.

A panel with the screen options will be toggled. There you can check the “Discussion” checkbxox.

In the form you’ll see that there’s a new box, named “Discussion”. There you can enable/disable comments.

Have a nice day.
    Juan

Thanks Juan! That did the trick.

Last question: is there a way to make new portfolios automatically have the “allow comments” under the discussion setting be defaulted to “checked”?

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the follow up.

I’m afraid that has to do with WordPress. As far as I’m concerned that’s a bit random. I’m sorry I can’t help you on this one

Best,
    Juan.

No worries, thanks for the great help Juan! This one can be closed out.

Thank you 🙂

Have a nice weekend,
    Juan.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic is marked as resolved

Only the topic author can re-open this thread.

Login to your Account

Welcome back! Please log in to your account by filling the fields below:

Forgot?

Not a member? Create a free account.

Create a Free Account

You're 27 seconds away from some awesome WordPress free stuff, benefits and more. Create a free account and have access to our free products, benefits and more!

Already have an account? Log in
Secure Server