Footer not staying at the bottom of page

This support request was posted in Flatbase by LottaC

Request ID #6907 In Progress
  • I just installed theme and noticed that footer doesn’t stay at the bottom of the page if there’s little content. I haven’t yet made any modifications, so seems a bug.

Hi LottaC,

Thanks for reaching us.

I can’t reproduce the issue in our local environment. Would you be so kind and guide me to do so? If you could tell me in which page you’re noticing the bug, and the steps you made to get there and find it, it would be very helpful.

Best,

Ricardo

Hi,
    Bug is on my local environment, when there is only little content (no pre footers), footer with copyright does not stay at the bottom. I havn’t done any changes to theme template. I can send you screenshot if you tell me where to?

Please, that would be great. You can reach me at (email removed to prevent spam).

Hi LottaC,

Thanks for sending the screenshots, they’ve been very helpful.

Would you please try with this code in [ Nice Themes / Theme Options / Design & Styles / Custom CSS ]?

#footer {
      position: absolute;
      right: 0;
      bottom: 0;
      left: 0;
    }

body.admin-bar #footer {
      margin-bottom: -32px;
    }

Please let me know if this solves your issue, and if I can be of further assistance.

Cheers,

Ricardo

This code breaks longer pages. I sent you another screenshot.

Hi LottaC,

You’re right, my bad. I apologize. Would you be so kind and try this code instead?

#wrapper {
    	display: flex;
    	flex-direction: column;
    	min-height: 100vh;
    }

#container {
    	flex: 1;
    	width: 100%;
    }

#footer {
    	width: 100%;
    }

By the way, thanks for spotting and reporting this, we’ll definitely fix it for next versions. But, in the meantime, I’d still like you to have a workaround.

Please let me know if this solves your issue, and if I can be of further assistance.

Best,

Ricardo

Greetings, nice to hear there will be fix. This css seems to work, I just have one concern, is the flex property supported in all the browsers ? Unfortunately I can’t test this (I use mac) before I install dev environment to my virtual win.

Hi LottaC,

You can check this website for information about what browsers support. As you can see there, all modern browsers support it.

For cross-browser compatibility testing, you can use online services, such as Browser Shots.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best,

Ricardo

Hi again,

I now noticed that there is a problem with the footer in IE. It stays in the middle of the page. I will send you screenshot and if you require I can create you a user account for testing.

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hi LottaC,

Thank you for the follow up.

Unfortunately, the way the footer is treated is the default behaviour of the page layout. You’ll find that it is treated like that on almost any theme in WordPress (even the default themes like TwentyFifteen, or any of the others).

What Ricardo gave you is a snippet in order to make the footer stay fixed to the bottom of the page, so you can have a hint on how to solve the problem for your particular case in which the content is not long enough to cover the whole page.

When it comes to site customizations, we cannot bring support unfortunately. You can read more about our policy on support vs customizations here: http://nicethemes.com/article/support-vs-customizations/

Thank you.

Best,
    Juan.

Hi,

I have used multiple themes and this is the first time I encouter this kind of problem. It is bad web design if themes footer does not stay at the bottom of the page, not customization. And in this case I wrote to you about now, the problem is that footer does NOT stay at the bottom when page content is longer than the page in display (I did email a screenshot to Ricardo), but floats in the middle of the page overlapping content. If that’s not a bug then I don’s know what is. Sad that your point of view is this.

I fixed these now myself, so you can close the topic.

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hi LottaC,

Thank you for the follow up.

When I mention the the default behaviour of the theme, I’m speaking about how the theme works without the code that Ricardo gave you. The problem you are facing right now is that the code that Ricardo gave you is not working on all browsers, and I understand that. If you want you can give me access to your site so I can delete that code. You can send me an email to support@nicethemes.com with the screenshot, access details and/or FTP, and your ThemeForest purchase code. (please include a reference to this support topic)

With regards to design patterns, I have always seen that the footer is not absoluted to the bottom of the page, and it always depends on the amount of content the page has if it is at the bottom or not. I can mention for example the default WordPress.org themes, or themes like ThemeForest’s best sellers like Avada.

I’d kindly ask you if you can send me a link to a theme which behaviour is to always have the footer absoluted to the bottom of the page, that way we can check how it is that they do it and we can help you.

Thank you,
    Juan.

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hi LottaC,

Thank you. It seems we were writing at the same time.

Please let me know I we can be of any further assistance, and feel free to email me the links I mentioned on my last message.

Thanks again,
    Juan.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login to your Account

Welcome back! Please log in to your account by filling the fields below:

Forgot?

Not a member? Create a free account.

Create a Free Account

You're 27 seconds away from some awesome WordPress free stuff, benefits and more. Create a free account and have access to our free products, benefits and more!

Already have an account? Log in
Secure Server