No output in WP from my Home Page

This support request was posted in Paeon by Paul S

Request ID #4747 In Progress
  • Nothing that I insert on my Home Page (uses the Home template page) is output to my (new) website. I created the site to have a static home page and a child blog page. The blog page works. This is now an onerous situation because I want to add custom content (a YouTube video) at the bottom of the main column, below the Testimonials and above the footer. I also cannot get any text to appear superimposed on the images that are the background to the slider. The absence of documentation about this is also distressing.

I should have written … “no output from the body of my home page. Nothing authored in the main column is output to the website. If this is the intended behavior for this page template, why does the template present an empty main column to receive my authored content? Very confusing to a newbie.

There is also no documentation about the function of the Featured Images in the Services pages, as per how they are presented on the Home page, plus that those images must all have the same aspect ratio, else the Services items are not formatted equivalently across a given row on the Home page. Etc Etc. Not cool.

Your Edit Image tool is also impervious to my understanding. Where is the How-To? Not cool.

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hello Paul,

Thanks for writing and hoping that you are doing well today.

Yes, that’s right, the Home Page template doesn’t display the content that you put in the editor, it just displays the layout designed specifically for that template. Are you comfortable to modify some code? Perhaps I can guide you on how to edit that template in order to get the content from the editor.

The featured image for services and staff, are the main image, the one that will be used on the home page when listing services. The same one you’ll see on the services template for each service. The aspect radio can change, what they need is to be larger in size than 480×480. That’s because the WordPress native function for resizing images can only resize them to a smaller scale.

We previously used timthumb in order to stretch images but it had several vulnerabilities, that’s why we have discontinuated it.

What do you mean by “your edit image tool”?

Thank you,
    Juan.

You reach the Edit Image tool after 1) open a Service page, 2) click on the page’s Featured Image, and 3) in the Set Featured Image page, under the thumbnail at right, click on Edit Image. This tool needs both some UI help and some documentation.

Yes, I can do some some to improve the results on my Home page. I already modified the Home Page Template PHP to produce eight (8) Services on the Home page. However, WP does not always correctly render 2 rows of 4 columns. This is a mystery that seems to be driven by side-effects of other Home page content or of other Home page settings. WP also produces a lone menu item (“Home”) in the footer (right side) of the Home page. That footer item is not defined in the Menu settings, so it seems to be another bug.

Correction: Yes, I can do some code …

The 480 x 480 requirements for Featured Images is not documented. Where? I found that WP cannot produce correctly formatted Services on the Home page unless all the Services’ Featured Images have the same aspect ratio.

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hello Paul,

That tool is part of WordPress, not the theme. Perhaps you can take a read at the WordPress documentation here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Inserting_Images_into_Posts_and_Pages

Would you please send me your site access details to support@nicethemes.com?

Best,
    Juan.

Why does the Home page template present an empty main column to receive my authored content? Seems to be a serious UI flaw.

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hello Paul,

Would you please send me your site access details to support@nicethemes.com?

That way I would be able to see your site and check what you mention.

Best,
    Juan.

Why is the menu item “inicio” (Home) appearing in the footer?

There is is no reason to present the main column for editing (by the web developer) in the Home Page template. Nothing placed in this area will appear on the website.

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the follow up.

That item appears over there because there’s a navigation menu location on the footer. You can create an empty navigation menu and assign it to the footer menu area if you don’t want to display anything there.

I’ve already mentioned that the home page template wasn’t conceived to display any content from the editor but just to display the different components of the theme. That are what templates are meant for, to display elements or functionalities in a different way from the default template. The WordPress editor cannot be hidden for a specific page template, the editor is part of WordPress.

Best,
    Juan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login to your Account

Welcome back! Please log in to your account by filling the fields below:

Forgot?

Not a member? Create a free account.

Create a Free Account

You're 27 seconds away from some awesome WordPress free stuff, benefits and more. Create a free account and have access to our free products, benefits and more!

Already have an account? Log in
Secure Server