Permalinks, and Running locally using MAMP

This support request was posted in BBQ by springmountain

Request ID #2055 Resolved
  • Greetings,

I am having issues with basic content, custom post titles, showing up on my local install of WP v3.6 and BBQ theme v1.1.

Running MAMP on OS X with symbolic linking & Dropbox for syncing one local site between numerous devices. I am also using permalinks (as directed in the support docs) so my urls are readable page titles. htaccess has mod-rewrite on and permissions are open on this file.

I am using Custom Fields and Custom Post Type UI (much the same as your Menu custom field, AFAIK).

I have the theme installed, but can’t get the menu or my custom post types to show, nor can I get even an my site headline or “hello world” to show up on my homepage. Not getting any error messages, other than saying “Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.” I have seen my custom posts on the dashboard and in the admin, but they are not showing up on the site when published.

Some of these features have worked before, os I’m leaning towards a cache/rewrite issue, or a plugin.

Here is what I found from WP, with the last one seeming to be the most relevant.

Using “Pretty” permalinks
    Requirements:

Apache web server with the mod_rewrite module installed
    In WordPress’s home directory,
    The FollowSymLinks option enabled
    FileInfo directives allowed (e.g. AllowOverride FileInfo or AllowOverride All)
    An .htaccess file (if this file is missing, WordPress will try to create it when you activate “pretty” permalinks)
    If you want WordPress to update the .htaccess file automatically, WordPress will need write access to the file.
    For lighttpd, see below.

Mac Users running WordPress locally must edit their httpd.conf file editing the AllowOverride line to read AllowOverride All in the Directory “/Library/WebServer/Documents” host instructions. For Mac OS X 10.5.x and up this file is located in /private/etc/apache2/users/[your-username].conf, otherwise it is located at /etc/httpd/httpd.conf.

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hello there,

Thanks for writing. I’ve been carefully reading your inquiry. In my opinion, the most probable thing is that you have a problem with a plugin or with the rewrite rules configured in your local server. As it is local, unfortunately I can’t take a look and give you much advice. But, for sure, when you first install MAMP, the mod_rewrite module is there and it’s usually well configured.

It’s not common to have problems with the writing access in Mac.

Have you tried deactivating your plugins?

Best,
    Juan.

Thank you for the quick response!

I believe I got it! I don’t believe it was a rewrite in htaccess issue.

As I read the documentation for building the home page, I read it as setting the template to default. Though the first paragraph states to set it to the home page (as does other parts of the documentation), the list at the end is not so clear about setting the template to home.

Our themes come bundled with a special page template for Home Page. In order to use the theme Home Page template as your site home page you’ll need to set a static front page. This “static front page” look is common for those who wish to not have a “blog” look to their site, giving it a more CMS (content management system) feel.

Creating a virtual static front page does not require editing or coding of files or templates. Using the default configuration for a “static front page” in WordPress does not remove the sidebar or change the look of the entire site, just the content area.

To create the static front page, go to the WordPress Administration Panels.

Create two WordPress Pages from the “Add New Page” panel. If you will not be using WordPress blogging functionality, you can skip the second page.
    Title the first page “Home” (or another name) as your “static” front page.
    Set the “Home” template to the default template or any custom template. Do not title your template home.php as this could cause a conflict.
    Add content you would like to see within the content area of the “Home” page.
    Publish the Page.

So, somewhere between a cache, permalink and plugin confusion, I didn’t get it right. Now, I’m on track, thanks again for a great theme.

Juanfra Aldasoro

Oh wonderful! So it was the settings. Great to hear that.

Thanks for your kind words.

And have a nice day,
    Juan.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic is marked as resolved

Only the topic author can re-open this thread.

Login to your Account

Welcome back! Please log in to your account by filling the fields below:

Forgot?

Not a member? Create a free account.

Create a Free Account

You're 27 seconds away from some awesome WordPress free stuff, benefits and more. Create a free account and have access to our free products, benefits and more!

Already have an account? Log in
Secure Server