Shortcode trouble: pages with specific knowledgebase categories

This support request was posted in Flatbase by lorelei

Request ID #6005 Resolved
  • Hi!

I just recently purchased this theme, and overall it is great!

However, I am struggling with an issue that seems to be the same as the one described here: http://nicethemes.com/forums/topic/creating-pages-with-especif-categories-of-knowledge-base/

I am testing the shortcode on this page: http://wiki.curiosity360.com/index.php/define/
    Using the shortcode [nicethemes_knowledgebase category=”5″], only the category “Define” should appear, but “Discover” is still visible.

Can you help? Thanks!

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hi,

Thanks for writing and thank you for your purchase.

One thing I saw by going through your site was that you had selected the knowledgebase template. That template is meant to display all of the categories and its articles. However, by changing that to the full width template doesn’t fix the problem.

The shortcode for categories, as it is right now, is meant to display the categories which are child of the category you insert within the shortcode. We’ll be revising this.

The original idea was to have the category template if you wanted to display the articles from only one category. If you go to “Articles > Categories” and you go over any of the categories, you’ll see a link that says “view”. If you click on that you’ll see the automatically generated template for every article category.

Best,
    Juan.

Hi Juan,

Thanks for the quick reply. From your description it seems like I probably can’t accomplish what I would like to, but I would like to describe it a little more clearly just in case.

I have a pretty complex network of articles that I need to make it easy for people to navigate. I was hoping to use the pages (Discover, Define, etc) to list several subsets of categories of articles.

The layout of the article titles in the knowledgebase template is ideal for what I’m trying to accomplish. I can organize the site with the category template pages, but it doesn’t feel as easy to navigate because the view is of snippets of articles instead of titles bucketed by category.

Again, I totally understand if this isn’t something that the template can do, but I thought I would clarify just in case. Thanks so much for your help!

Lorelei

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hi Lorelei,

Thanks for the follow up.

I understand. The thing is that if the site doesn’t count with a certain amount of articles, then it won’t display them.

The knowledge base shortcode, filtering by category will work if you set a category (or a set of categories) which has sub categories with articles.

For categories that only have a set of articles, then the category template is the solution.

For example: Have you tried adding several subcategories and articles to the “Define” category?

Best,
    Juan.

In case it helps, this is what I’m hoping to achieve structurally:

Discover [ideal visual template: Knowledgebase]
    –Category A [template: Category page]
    —-Article 1 [template: Article]
    —-Article 2 [template: Article]
    –Category B [template: Category page]
    —-Article 3 [template: Article]
    —-Article 4 [template: Article]

Define [ideal visual template: Knowledgebase]
    –Category C [template: Category page]
    —-Article 5 [template: Article]
    —-Article 6 [template: Article]
    –Category D [template: Category page]
    —-Article 7 [template: Article]
    —-Article 8 [template: Article]

Thanks!

I think what you’re saying should be ideal for what I am trying to accomplish. I’ll try it. Thanks!

Juan,

That did exactly what I need. Thanks for the help!!

Lorelei

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hi Lorelei,

Thanks for the follow up.

I’m happy it worked the way you needed 🙂

Have a nice day,
    Juan.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic is marked as resolved

Only the topic author can re-open this thread.

Login to your Account

Welcome back! Please log in to your account by filling the fields below:

Forgot?

Not a member? Create a free account.

Create a Free Account

You're 27 seconds away from some awesome WordPress free stuff, benefits and more. Create a free account and have access to our free products, benefits and more!

Already have an account? Log in
Secure Server