Sidebar help

This support request was posted in Flatbase by mfeemster

Request ID #5120 Resolved
  • My site will consist mostly of pages, rather than blog posts. Some of those pages will contain enough information to warrant being broken down into several sub pages. I can set these up in a hierarchy by specifying parent/child pages.

I need to have this hierarchy appear on a sidebar, so that when a user is viewing a page, they are aware that there are several sub pages available.

I currently see no way of doing this. I tried using widgets, but all they give me is a raw, unorganized, sequential, non-hierarchical dump of categories/pages on the site. This is cluttered, and not what I need.

I need something like the following but can’t seem to find a way to do it (here or on Google):

For a particular area of the site, I have something like this:

Parent page
    —-Sub page 1
    —-Sub page 2

When the user is on Parent page, or either of its two sub pages, I would like there to be a hierarchy of links shown on the side bar, as shown above.

Ideally, this would be done automatically based on the page hierarchy that I lay out.

Is there any easy way to do this? Thanks.

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hi there,

Thanks for writing and hoping that you are doing well today.

Unfortunately there’s no easy way of doing that if you’re not into programming.

But, perhaps you can find a plugin in the public repository that do the job for you. For example, I would try some of these:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/hierarchical-pages/
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/flexi-pages-widget

Best,
    Juan.

Hi Juan,

I’ve tried hierarchical-pages and it displays the appropriate page links in the side bar, however no nesting is taking place. I know it’s not your job to troubleshoot other peoples’ plugins, but I was wondering if there is anything in the flatbase CSS that is causing ul/li not to indent. What I have looks like this:

Parent Page
    Sub Page 1
    Sub Page 2

And what I want is:

Parent page
    Sub page 1
    Sub page 2

Is there anything off the top of your head that would prevent a list from properly indenting?

I’ve commented out all of my custom CSS so I am only running with the default flatbase code.

Thanks.

Never mind, I got it:

#sidebar li
    {
    padding-left: 20px;
    }

Juanfra Aldasoro

Hi there,

Thanks for the update. I’m happy it is working as you need.

Have a nice day.

Best,
    Juan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is marked as resolved

Only the topic author can re-open this thread.

Login to your Account

Welcome back! Please log in to your account by filling the fields below:

Forgot?

Not a member? Create a free account.

Create a Free Account

You're 27 seconds away from some awesome WordPress free stuff, benefits and more. Create a free account and have access to our free products, benefits and more!

Already have an account? Log in
Secure Server